- Covers the major trends in the study of Chinese history from antiquity to the present day
- Considers the latest scholarship of historians working in China and around the world
- Explores a variety of long-range questions and themes which serves to bridge the conventional divide between China’s traditional and modern eras
- Addresses China’s connections with other nations and regions and enables non-specialists to make comparisons with their own fields
- Features discussion of traditional topics and chronological approaches as well as newer themes such as Chinese history in relation to sexuality, national identity, and the environment
Free Shipping on all Orders Over $35!*
*excludes Marketplace items.
Table of Contents
Notes on Contributors x
1 Introduction 1
Part I States of the Field 9
2 How Do We Know What We Know about Chinese History? 11
3 Chinese History in China: The State of the Field (1980s–2010s) 28
4 Chinese History in Japan: The State of the Field 44
5 Chinese History in Europe: The State of the Field 53
6 Chinese History in the Era of the China Dream 64
Geremie R. Barmé and Michael Szonyi
7 Chinese History in World History 71
Part II Chronologies 87
8 Early China in Eurasian History 89
9 Was Medieval China Medieval? (Post]Han to Mid]Tang) 106
10 A Tang–Song Turning Point 118
11 Periods of Non-Han Rule 129
12 Song to Qing: Late Imperial or Early Modern? 143
R. Kent Guy
13 Nineteenth]Century China: The Evolution of American Historical Approaches 154
Paul A. Cohen
14 Republican History 168
Janet Y. Chen
15 Rethinking the History of Maoist China 179
16 The Reform Era as History 191
Part III Themes and Approaches 205
17 Women, Gender, the Family, and Sexuality 207
18 History of Premodern Chinese Literature 221
19 Modern Chinese Literature 235
David Der]wei Wang
20 The Environmental History of China: Past, Present, and Future 252
Peter C. Perdue
21 Science, Technology, and Medicine 265
22 Legal History 277
William P. Alford and Eric T. Schluessel
23 Ethnicity, Nationalism, and Identity in the Study of Modern China 290
Thomas S. Mullaney
24 The Religious Core of Local Social Organization 304
Barend J. ter Haar
25 Beyond the Great Divergence: Current Scholarship on the Economic History of Premodern China 315
Richard von Glahn
26 Taiwan: Margin, Center, Node 327
27 Chinese Migrations 343
Henry S.N. Yu
28 China in the World: Beyond the Tribute System 360
John E. Wills, Jr.
Glossary of Selected Terms 372
An electronic version of this book is available through VitalSource.
This book is viewable on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and most smartphones.
By purchasing, you will be able to view this book online, as well as download it, for the chosen number of days.
A downloadable version of this book is available through the eCampus Reader or compatible Adobe readers.
Applications are available on iOS, Android, PC, Mac, and Windows Mobile platforms.
Please view the compatibility matrix prior to purchase.